Wednesday 22 January 2014

Growing Up “Artsy” in a “Sporty” Family



I’m writing this blog today because of the picture I posted on our twitter feed for #motivationmonday. It really spoke to me and it's been guiding me all week. I can't stop thinking about it. I’m actually going to read the bigger work the quotation was taken from and I’ll let you know how it is. If you're interested the book is called Are You Ready to Dispel Fear, Seize Opportunity, and Attract the Success You’ve Only Dreamed of Until Now? by Fabienne Fredrickson and it's a "collection of compelling personal stories from top experts on how finding their life’s passion changed their lives, and how you can find yours too". Buy it here.



Source: Pinterest

Despite the fact that following my literary passion has provided me with a potentially “useless” Master’s degree in English according to some ridiculous scale created by Linkedin or Workopolis (think of an article called "The 30 Worst Degrees") and the slight detail that I haven’t “made it” yet I still think it’s important, essential really, to follow your passion in life. If you don't follow your passion you're wasting an amazing gift that you were given. Sometimes, as my yoga instructor reflected in Monday night’s class (life really does have a great sense of timing doesn’t it?) you have to “work for the man” as she called it, and put in your time, before you can truly follow your passion and be self sufficient. She is hesitant to leave her full time position to teach yoga exclusively because of her early failings as a young self-employed person. She explained that in life you need to have a solid foundation to work from before you can make those “bigger leaps” of passion. So, like my yogi, I am “working for the man” (“the man” in this case being my dad) and am building my foundation before I can follow my passion for writing. That doesn’t mean I won’t do it though. I’ve always tried to follow my passion despite growing up a “artsy” kid in a “sporty” family.

As a kid, I spent my free time writing stories, reading books and drawing. When I wasn’t doing these things I was obsessing over horses and often the two would intersect (I’d design barn layouts, write stories about horses, and read books about horses like Pony Pals and The Saddle Club – I was an artsy, horsey kid). These things came naturally to me and just felt right. Unfortunately, in my “sporty” family these things were pastimes not equal to sports like soccer or baseball and also weren't cultivated as gifts that could ever provide for me in the workforce. It's understandable, really, that practical minds think in practical ways.

One of the worst memories I have from my childhood is the basketball league I was forced to play in for two painful years in grades five and six. Not only are those awkward years for a growing girl but I was just plain terrible at the sport. I hated how rough and hard the basketballs were, (if I had to play I preferred volleyball at least they didn’t hurt as much when they hit you in the face), I sucked at dribbling, shooting and running. I couldn’t pass, catch or get out of the way fast enough. I remember running purposefully slowly down the court so I’d be out of the line of fire when my teammates were making a “big play”.  I was so bad that I actually caused a league-wide uproar when they had to trade a good player to our team to make up for my failings, subsequently breaking up a tight knit team that had been on a winning streak. The worst part was that the people from the league actually told me that I was the reason behind the trade like I couldn’t have figured it out on my own. My dad took to “practicing” with me on Saturday mornings to improve my skills. I never got better and started to resent my dad for pushing it on me. Now I hated Saturday AND Sunday mornings. 

My parents were adamant: sports were what you did to stay healthy and active. I remember one conversation with them on a canoe ride at my cottage (worse than a forced car ride talk! Where could I go... the lake?) about the upcoming school year and how I had to choose a sport to play. They said if I wasn’t more active I would be fat in my old age. I asked them if they thought I was overweight and they said well, yes. I have to say I was shocked. Great body image stuff for a preteen girl, right? The sad thing is I honestly don’t think I was overweight at the time. In their defence they truly just wanted me to be healthy and in their sporty minds joining a team was the only way a kid could get there. The irony of it all is that I would have died to spend my Sunday mornings at the barn mucking endless stalls and riding horses and I probably would have gotten more cardio trekking around the barn and carrying water and hay bales (doing something I enjoyed) than I ever did avoiding the ball on the court.

Source: Stall 101

Interestingly, as a twenty-something woman I’ve discovered that I do enjoy being active. I enjoy working out, doing strength training and cardio at the gym and I particularly love yoga. I love taking my dog for long walks and doing activities that allow me to focus on my health and well-being without all the bullshit that goes along with playing a sport. I like the calm and relaxation of going for a run or doing pilates that makes me feel at peace. In the same way that my brother feels high after a good game of hockey or soccer I love working out. It doesn’t mean that I don’t like to get my heartbeat racing or that I don’t want to sweat it out; it's that there are many ways to be healthy. I wish that someone had told me that when I was a kid. Instead, I felt like a big, uncoordinated failure and hated the S’s in gym that marked my otherwise straight-E report cards. 

So, whether it’s doing the exercises you like or pursuing the writing career you know is meant for you take time to think about following your passion this week. Whether your already have your strong foundation or you’re working on building one for yourself support yourself and believe in yourself because sometimes no one else will... and maybe no one else has to!


Source: Yoga Mats Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment