Monday 16 December 2013

Snow Globe DIY

             
If you’re a twenty-something like me you probably don’t have many Christmas decorations of your own (yet!). If you read A New Christmas Tradition you’ll know that here at WTD we’re re-vamping the holidays and are trying to make our own traditions this year. As always, we try to do things in the thriftiest way possible but that never means skimping on style, class or quality! Today's holiday DIY is a festive Anthropologie inspired snow globe!
My snow globes are hanging out on my kitchen table this year!
I was inspired to do this DIY after I found some delightful snow globes on Pinterest. They are inspired by these Anthropologie originals which are no longer available on their website. I made my snow globes at the end of the season last year so this is the first Christmas I’m actually getting to enjoy them and I have to say I just love them. They’re cute, quirky, super easy and amazingly cheap to make! The image from the original blog is a pretty self-explanatory and I basically did my own thing when making them. The blog Make Life Lovely has another awesome DIY tutorial for the same snow globes. She compares the original price of $40 Anthropologie version to the $2 it cost her to make them herself! Don't forget they're also eco-friendly if you use recycled jars and ribbon. Plus, I think the homemade ones look better anyway!

I love the charming bows!
What you’ll need:
  • 3 mason jars (I chose two smaller jars and one large one you can decide what works for you)
  • 3 miniature Christmas trees (I found mine at Dollarama and they are there again this year!)
  • Fake Snow (I also bought at Dollarama) 
  • 1 glue gun
  • Ribbon (I used two pieces of red and one red and white checkered print. Use whatever you have)
  • Something to raise your tree up I think I put a piece of foam under mine
  
The Instagram I posted after making them in 2012!


I didn’t take pictures of step-by-step directions as I made mine last year but they are so easy you won’t need them. Luckily, this is a popular craft so I’m going to source some photos online to help you along.


Step One
Take the lid off the mason jar and pull the ring away from the round disc.

Step Two
Use your hot glue gun to glue your base to the middle of the disc. Giving your tree a little height allows you to add more snow. Otherwise the snow covers the tree. Let dry.

Step Three
Glue the tree to the base. Let dry.

Step Four
Put snow into the jar. The amount will vary depending on the size of your tree and what looks best to you.

Step Five
Put it all together! Try not to spill the snow :)

Step Six
Tie ribbon around the ring.
Voila! How easy was that? Now all you have to do is find a cute spot in your home to  showcase these awesome snow globes.

If you want to get even thriftier try some variations. I like the Anthropologie salt shakers and the antique blue mason jars I found on google images!

Variations:
Salt Shaker Globes
Antique Jars

A Simple Kind of Life
You can add water like A Simple Kind of Life did. Personally, I prefer how they look without water but I realize they're not true snow globes without. If you do use water make sure to use distilled water!

A Simple Kind of Life also tried one globe with gold glitter. I like it! You could also mix glitter in with your snow for a more glamourous look! The only warning she had was that a layer of glitter does float to the top.

Kayla Danielle
Blogger Kayla Danielle used a big jar she had sitting around at home to make a super sized snow globe! If you like this look Apothecary jars can be found at many home decor stores for a reasonable price. Try Winners or Homesense.

Gorgeous display of globes!
Display your globes with a few tree trimmings for extra visual appeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment