Sunday 8 December 2013

To Gift Card or Not to Gift Card; that is my dilemma

So I’m just going to come out and say it, plain and simple: I hate gift cards. Ok, well that’s not entirely true. Perhaps I should specify: I hate gift cards as Christmas gifts, both giving and receiving. Not to say that I am so obstinate as to refuse to accept the free purchase this little piece of plastic represents, per se. But as far as my favourite things about the holidays go, gift cards are definitely not at the top of my list.

Why, you might ask? Do I have something against easy shopping? Do I despise allowing people to make their own choices (granted, a choice that is limited to a particular store or mall but a personal choice nonetheless)? Do I love standing in crowded store lines for that perfect gift item, only to find that it sold out three weeks ago? No, no I do not love these things. However, call me a traditionalist, but I like to think that a Christmas gift is less about just getting a gift, and more about the person you’re getting it for.

Personally, while I understand that sometimes getting a gift card to a popular store rids one of much of the dreaded shopping stress that inevitably accompanies holiday spirit, I am turned off by the genericness of it all. Having been a repeated culprit in gift card giving, I can speak to the fact that oftentimes I don’t even look around the store to see if there happens to be any actual item that seems appropriate or gift-worthy; instead, I run straight to the front cash, grab a little plastic rectangle and say “please put this much on this card.” And then I get the hell out of that store, quick in, quick out, just the way I like it. It also prevents me from having to shop ahead of time. Just two weeks ago I ran into a store to get my sister a gift card for her birthday. As it happens, I was supposed to meet her for dinner half hour later to give her said gift and as it happens she was coming out of that same store at the very moment I was walking into it. She just looked at me knowingly and said “you’re getting me a gift card, aren’t you?” Well didn’t I just feel like a shit.

I’m sure we all have those people on our shopping lists who, when asked what they would like for Christmas, always recommend gift cards often because they’re “easiest” or the person is too busy and stressed themselves to think of a specific item or two he/she has actually been wanting. But last time I checked, the spirit of gift giving is supposed to come from a heartfelt desire to give someone a token of your appreciation for them. It’s not supposed to be first and foremost “easy”. “Easy” implies obligation, and it’s that sense of “OMG I have to get this person a gift” which creates all the holiday stress in the first place: ironically, during what is supposed to be one of the more joyous times of the year. As a gift giver, I want to show my recipient that I know them, I listen to them and I care, and sometimes a gift card falls short of demonstrating that kind of affection.

Now I’m not saying that when I receive gift certificates I feel unloved or unappreciated. At the end of the day, taking time, any time, to get me a gift is a show of kindness. But it tickles me a deeper shade of pink when I receive a gift that’s a little more personal. Like two years ago, when my brother in law had me for Kris Kringle. I am often one of those annoying people who doesn’t necessarily want anything in particular for Christmas, making shopping for me pretty much impossible. But when I opened my gift, I was filled with such joy and awe. My BIL had gotten me a Pittsburgh Penguins jersey (my favourite hockey team); it was an item that I wouldn’t have even thought to ask for! The gift showed that he was paying attention to my interests, my hobbies…to me.  And it was his knowing what the perfect gift for me would be, that touched me more than the gift itself. 

I’m not an idealist, thinking that there’s a perfect gift out there for everyone on our lists, especially if you encounter Vague Veronicas like myself. But there are ways to make Christmas gifts more intimate, more personal, even if that means including a small token alongside a gift certificate to the local mall. Here are a few suggestions:
Ask around: If you’re buying for a sibling, consult your other siblings or that sibling’s friends for suggestions. For a significant other, ask his or her friends or family members for advice on things he/she may have picked out or mentioned on a recent shopping trip. Don’t be afraid to get help!

Listen: If you’re in conversation around the holidays with someone you need to buy for, listen closely for whether that person mentions anything they might be looking for or needing in the near future. Sometimes that person may even be purposely trying to provide you with hints or gift ideas, so it’s important to pay attention, especially when topics related to the holidays come up.


Take notice: If you happen to be visiting with someone on your gift giving list, take mental notes and snapshots of particular things they might have around the home, or particular styles or trends they might like wearing. Use that as a template for gift possibilities, and let your deduction skills guide you the rest of the way.

Add a little somethin’ somethin’: My brother is Home Depot obsessed, and I’m not about to go out and buy him a saw. So to accompany the yearly Home Depot gift card, I decided to purchase a nice, inexpensive frame and put a picture of us in it, since I’m pretty sure neither of us actually owns one (thanks for the picture, mom). I taped the gift card to the back of the frame. It’s a small token but more personal than “here is your plastic rectangle; go get a new tool.” Other times, I’ll write a poem and wrap the gift card in that, or consult a handy DIY list (like the one conveniently included by WTD) to find an easy, yet adorable idea to add on to a less personal item.


Arguably, the best gift you can give anyone is your time, a moment or two out of your busy life to slow down and appreciate one another: whether that be buying concert tickets for a night out, arranging a spa day, or even writing an IOU for a dinner date in the future, on you. The gift of spending time with the ones you love is the most inexpensive, yet the most invaluable, and one that you will never have to wait in line for.


For all other options, I’d recommend getting a gift receipt. Just in case.

Gotta book it,

JEM

No comments:

Post a Comment