Sunday 29 December 2013

I am a New Year's convert

So now that Christmas has passed, time to keep the holiday train a-movin’! Right on past Boxing Day because really, the thought of people standing in lines overnight in minus degree temperatures and shoving into one another in crowded mall stores does not exactly give me warm butterfly feelings. Instead, there’s the more anticipated end to the winter holiday trio that comes with its own expectations and traditions: New Years.

Personally, I’m not much of a New Years gal. It’s probably because of all the pressures that come with making plans for that famed eve, making sure you’re doing something exciting at least during possibly the 10 most exciting and hopeful seconds of the year with the hope that the following year will mirror that stint of excitement. Are you getting that I rarely have New Years plans to match the expectation? And don’t even get me started on that whole “who are you going to kiss at midnight” debacle that every single girl has to contend with…

But let’s not forget that New Years is just the prequel to the epic motion picture, being the year ahead. The older I get, I find myself buying more and more into the “new year, fresh start” clichĂ©. I used to be adamant about the fact that New Years was just another day in a cycle of days; I never got the big deal about this “holiday”. Maybe it’s my ever wisening perceptions about life that make me want to be hopeful about New Years, that the regrets and mistakes of the past year can somehow be rectified or redeemed in the year to come. That’s why I started making New Year’s resolutions.


I recognize that this is no revelation: resolutions are to New Years as cake is to birthday. But I’m not talking about the “lose 20 pounds” type of resolutions I would make in high school. Rather, I have started making a short list of realistic but not necessary anxiety-inducing goals for the year. For example, last New Years I vowed that I would be a better Zia to my niece and nephew, having been away at school for all of their lives and thus only able to spend minimal time with them. Now, I see them at least twice a week, and we do some hardcore playing: I’m talking flipping them over my back, crawling on my knees, speaking in funny voices etc. I am now the one Chloe asks for when we have family gatherings, and last week, Aidan said “Zia” for the first time, but he only associates the term with me and not yet my sisters. In my book, that New Year’s resolution gets a check mark.

At the end of every year, I go through my list and reflect back on whether or not I achieved my goals to my own standard, and look at whether what I want in my life has changed from what it was one year ago. It’s about taking strides to improve my person and my life for me, not according to any expectation anything else or anyone else may have. Achievable but challenging goals, like getting out of the country for a bit. Maybe that means a weekend road trip to New York or Boston: nothing too extravagant, but a change of scene that makes the resolution grade. It has become my way of challenging myself to make one year better than the last, and a reminder that despite all of the crap we might go through every year, there are good moments to reminisce about too, and the potential number of fantastic times to follow is enough to overshadow the relatively few embarrassing or difficult times of the past.


I understand that resolutions are still considered cheesy and unnecessary by many people: hi, I used to be one of them. But consider looking at it from a different view, and using your resolutions as opportunities to know yourself, and what you want, better. Shakespeare didn’t suggest that you “know thyself” for nothin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment