Monday 9 December 2013

A Book Buying Guide for the Bookworms (and maybe even some Non-Bookish Folk) on your List this Holiday Season



Further to our gift card discussion, I thought I'd post a book buying guide for the fast-approaching holiday season. I personally love receiving books as gifts but for some reason I rarely get them in return! You'd think as an English major and bookish nerd people would automatically get me books but perhaps because I've read a lot of books they shy away from choosing one for me? In my opinion, there is nothing more personal than choosing a book for a loved one. If you don't know where to start - start here! Remember, there's this magical thing called a GIFT RECEIPT that you can stick in the cover of the book to ensure that if they have read it they can return the gift and choose something they haven't. I usually wait and confirm that the receiver hasn't read the book before writing a personal inscription in the cover.  The most recent book I received as a gift was Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). I loved this present as I would never have bought it myself but thoroughly enjoyed it and gained a newfound appreciation for Mindy Kaling (I was a clueless Office lover who didn't know she was a major writing force). The book isn't on my list but does come highly recommended, especially for a young woman or aspiring writer of any kind. Kaling is a talented, funny and, despite the title, confident woman to learn from and look up to!
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Here at WTD we like to support local bookshops and booksellers but in the guide I have posted images and links to Chapters/Indigo for your reference and discretion.

1.) For a Friend in a Rut The  Glass CastleJeanette Walls

The Glass Castle
If you haven’t read the blog article I wrote after hearing author Jeanette Walls speak at a literary event, read it here. I am a huge fan of her work and my appreciation for The Glass Castle doubled, no, quadrupled after having the chance to meet her in person.  The Glass Castle  is the perfect book for a friend who is in a rut, as many of us twenty-somethings are, because it puts life into perspective while simultaneously providing an unapologetic sense of hope for the future.  Hope is important for many of us right now and this book is also funny, touching and thought provoking.

2.) For your Mother-in-Law – The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Have you read it? It’s great! I stole it off my mom’s shelf expecting something completely different based solely on my impression of the title but it’s a rich and rewarding read written in the epistolary form that has an upbeat sensibility that I appreciate in literature. Goodreads: “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all. Juliet [the protagonist] begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever”. Some reader reviewers on Good Reads find it a little hokey but I truly enjoyed the wholesome, good-feeling vibes Shaffer puts into her writing. In my opinion, it’s a perfect read for your MIL.

3.) For your Literary Friend – Half-Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan

Half Blood Blues
I realize that because this selection is for your literary friend they may have read this book, but if they’re a literary friend they’ve probably read a lot of books. It’s going to be kind of  a shot in the dark to choose something for them no matter what. When in doubt, scan their bookshelves next time you’re over and looking for missing titles. Interestingly, despite its widespread acclaim I’d say that Half-Blood Blues is a novel many of my literary friends haven’t read – and should! This book changed the way I read. It immediately became one of my all times favourites. Edugyan surprised me in many ways and Half-Blood Blues turned into a story I wasn’t expecting and, interestingly, needed to read at the time. Half-Blood Blues reveals a side of war I hadn’t experienced in history or literature and it entranced and enveloped me. Good Reads puts it beautifully: “the best-selling, award-winning Half-Blood Blues is an entrancing, electric story about jazz, race, love and loyalty, and the sacrifices we ask of ourselves, and demand of others, in the name of art”.

4.) For your Eccentrically Eclectic Friend - The Door – Margaret Atwood


The Door
Unfortunately, you can’t give poetry to just anyone in this day and age, but hopefully, like me, you have a friend that truly appreciates the poetic side of life. If they have an appreciation of poetry or Atwood The Door will be an excellent choice. Atwood turned me on to poetry in grade twelve with her poem You Fit into Me (if you haven’t read it – go read it right now) and I’ve loved her poetry (and poetry in general) ever since. I studied The Door in a seminar class with Dionne Brand (get jealous and stay that way – it was a life changing semester) and I highly recommend the collection. As Good Reads explains, The Door: “investigate[s] the mysterious writing of poetry itself, as well as the passage of time and our shared sense of mortality”. As I said, choose the receiver of this gift wisely and it could be the perfect present.
5.) For your Dad – In the Skin of a Lion – Michael Ondaatje 
 
In The Skin of a Lion
My dad’s a reader, but I challenge you to try this book out on yours even if he isn’t. Ondaatje is a true wordsmith and In the Skin of a Lion is enchanting because of the effortless use of storytelling and language.  In the Skin of a Lion is a captivating read because of Ondaatje's use of poetic language and the way the text compels the reader to “figure it out” from the very beginning. In The Skin of a Lion explains Toronto's unspoken past and combines history, mystery and adventure to explore the sinister underside involved in building Canada’s biggest city in the 1920s.  
6.) For Your Aunt or Uncle that you simply can’t Shop For – The Shipping News – Annie Proulx
The Shipping News begins with the slowly imploding life of Quoyle a newspaper press room worker from New York State who relocates to his ancestral home on the coast of Newfoundland with his two daughters after being deserted by his ex-wife Petal. The family’s relocation is the beginning of a mid-life turnaround that allows Quoyle to find his place in the world and what Goodreads calls his “struggle to reclaim his life”. I absolutely love books set on the coast and The Shipping News is possibly the best. A guaranteed crowd pleasing read for any family member you simply can’t shop for.

7.) For your Mom – Latitudes of Melt – Joan Clark

Latitudes of Melt

Okay, now I’m on a Newfoundland kick. Latitudes of Melt is one of my mom’s favourite "finds" aka she found in in my bookshelf. I studied this book in a Can lit course during my Undergrad. Written by the author of An Audience of Chairs, Latitudes of Melt is a mom-pleasing, character driven story about a baby, later re-named Aurora, who is found floating off the coast of Newfoundland after the Titanic sinks. She is adopted and raised by a family in Newfoundland and later raises her own family there. The book explores her entire life until old age when she is finally convinced that she should explore her origins and find out where she came from.

8.) For your Brother or Brother in Law – Homage to Catalonia – George Orwell
Homage to Catalonia
The only book my brother has ever read is 1984. Okay, that’s probably not true but it is the only book he has ever liked, and he only read it because his high school curriculum made him. My parents had two children and our strengths are literally split down the middle; I am an English major who loves reading, writing, art, yoga, animals and nature and my brother in an Engineer who excels in science and math and plays sports… for fun (if you can believe that). I have chosen Homage to Catalonia because of my brother’s lack luster reading resume (his only weak resume, I might add, the kid is a genius). He liked Orwell, I think, because Orwell catches readers off guard and captures their interest before they have a chance to put the book down. Even most non-readers have gotten through Animal Farm and have had to stop and think about it. That’s a pretty amazing feat considering Animal Farm is often read around grade ten when boys are possibly at their most boy-ish. Homage to Catalonia is a lesser known Orwell which depicts his experience in the Spanish Civil War where he served on the Aragon front for a hundred and fifteen days and was at one point shot through the throat in battle. In typical Orwell fashion he replies to the people who said he was the “lucky man to have survived being shot in the throat” that it would be “luckier not to have been shot at all”. This book is rich in history, and although it doesn’t showcase typical wartime action, the politics and strife are evident on every page and I promise the reader will learn a lot (I did!).  
9.) For your Friend who has Read All the Classics – Wide Sargasso Sea – Jean Rhys 

Wide Sargasso Sea
Give this book to someone who has read the classics, loves the Brontës and Austen, but also appreciates good contemporary fiction (like us!). Don’t give this book to a classics-snob (I’ve met several of them – it’s not attractive – why are they your friend, anyway?) because they will be an asshole about it. I re-read Jane Eyre before embarking on Wide Sargasso Sea and I loved the entire experience! It gave me a chance to re-fresh on one of my top-five favourite Classics of all time and gave me a breath of fresh air and a new perspective on the story. Rhys explores Antoinette Bertha Cosway, Mr. Rochester’s mysterious captive and “madwoman” in Jane Eyre and crafts a unique and compelling tale set in 1830s Jamaica.

10.) For Anyone - Longbourn - Jo Baker 

Longbourn

I admit, I haven't read Longbourn (yet) but I have already given it to one my best friends. It sounds wonderful, someone described it to be Downton Abbey-esque, so of course I know I'm going to like it. Like Wide Sargasso Sea Longbourn plays with the beloved, tried and true story of Pride and Prejudice. I recommend reading Pride and Prejudice first to refresh, just like I did with Wide Sargasso Sea. In fact, why not give P&P and Longbourn as a gift set? I'm going to go put Longbourn on my wish list now!

In closing, I urge you to give at least one book this holiday season! Use this book buying guide or think up your own (and if you do, make sure to share it with me!). Either way, I know that any book lover and maybe even the oddly non-bookish folk  in your life will appreciate the gesture and maybe even learn something new this holiday season!

Gotta book it,

JEM

No comments:

Post a Comment